Ahoy, fellow adventurers! Summer is here, and when you are here on FerryGoGo.com, this probably means you are getting ready to set sail on an exciting ferry journey.
So, grab your favorite sunglasses, slip into your comfiest flip-flops, and dive into the world of packing for ferry travel. Get ready to pack like a pro because, with our ultimate ferry summer packing list, you'll have everything you need to create unforgettable memories on the open seas.
The Essentials for Ferry Travelers
- Ginger Candy: Ginger is known for its anti-nausea properties and can help reduce feelings of nausea.
- Pressure Wristbands: They are cheap and work well (if you trust the 27.000 reviews)—they are also a fun thing to give to your kids upon arrival.
- Passport or ID card. We spend days building the perfect ID guidance for ferry travel. Make sure you check that one out! Also, always be sure to check the VISA requirement.
- Your tickets or reservations, and then: Digital copies. In many countries, it helps to create a picture of your online confirmations and have it with you when you board. Also, if traveling internationally in Asia, ensure you have digital copies of your onward Journey.
Now you have the essentials covered, let's focus on comfort
- Lightweight and breathable clothing. If it's hot weather, a ‘light summer or wind jacket' can be a smart move to take along.
- Hat or cap to protect from the sun. Make sure it fits tight; you won't be the first one that loses a cap or hat on a ferry)
- Sun protection: Sunscreen with high SPF, Lip Balm with SPF, and Aloe Vera or After-sun.
- Cash or credit cards for onboard purchases. There aren't ATMs on all ferries. And on most ferries, you have to pay an extra fee for using ATMs.
- For travel adapters or chargers, there are not many charging points on ferries, lounges, and such; there is always a place for chargers.
- Eye mask for better sleep
- Earplugs or noise-canceling headphones! A must-have on many trips: especially if you have fixed seating. You don't want to sit next to the engine without Earplugs.
- Travel pillow for a comfortable nap
- Lightweight blanket or shawl
Drinks and food during ferry travel
- As we mentioned before: Everything with Ginger in it works!
- A reusable water bottle to stay hydrated as you navigate the salty depths. This one is extra important due to the fact that being hydrated works against seasickness!
- Peppermint: Peppermint has been found to help calm the stomach and ease feelings of nausea.
Hygiene on board the Vessel
- Wet wipes or hand sanitizer, ferries can be dirty sometimes, especially during peak season in hot weather with full schedules.
Entertainment during a ferry trip
- Be happy on your ferry trip, smile, and enjoy the people, families, chaos, and dogs around you. Don't be that angry person sitting in a corner 🙂 #YOLO
- Coloring books or activity books for Kids! (kids' entertainment is not always sufficient)
- Download your favorite movie, book, or music: Make sure you have offline entertainment: Not all ferries have 100% WiFi coverage.
- iPads and Smartphones, of course, work great on ferries! But you already know that.
Logical things you don't need to miss
- The Normal Toiletries and Personal Care items you have when visiting a hotel.
- Driver's License (and sometimes you also need all your car documents and such)
- Avoid (High) Heels! (It can be done, though!)
Ready to Embark!
As you prepare to embark on a summer ferry adventure, remember that the key to a seamless and enjoyable journey could be: efficient packing. With “This Ultimate Ferry Summer Packing List” in hand, you'll be well-equipped to embrace the enchantment of sea travel. So, heed the call of the ocean, pack your essentials wisely, and let the waves carry you toward unforgettable memories. Bon voyage, and may your summer ferry experience be filled with boundless joy and endless horizons!