A short boat trip across the Aegean Sea and there it is: your next holiday destination. Step ashore in yet another idyllic harbour. Are you ready to discover the Greek Sporades?
The authentic Greek life (without mass tourism!)
Hike through shady forests and along rugged cliffs. Stroll through narrow streets with white houses and treat yourself to a new outfit in a charming boutique. Rest on a sandy beach in a beautiful bay and drink a cocktail at sunset in that nice beach bar you’ve already read about.
Yes, this is life on the Greek Sporades. We will tell you more about these – for many people still unknown – gems in the Aegean Sea.
Which islands of the Greek Sporades are best to visit?
During your island hopping adventure in the Sporades, there are three islands that you should not miss:
- Skiathos is usually the island where the adventure begins: Skiathos has an airport. Which makes it the most touristic island; it is known for its lively bars, great boulevards and beautiful beaches. For example, visit Koukounaries Beach, an impressive beach on the edge of a pine forest. Paradise on Earth. As long as you get there early! It can get quite busy here. Fortunately, there are also many beautiful beaches on Skiathos that are a lot quieter.
- Quickly on to the enchanting island of Skopelos, which became famous thanks to the movie Mamma Mia. You will find villages with the typical whitewashed houses and narrow cobbled streets. Explore the beautiful beaches such as Panormos and Stafylos and enjoy the serene atmosphere of Skopelos.
- Alonissos is an oasis of tranquility and natural splendor. The island is known for its marine park, a protected stretch of sea where you can spot the rare Monk Seals. A top destination for nature lovers and snorkelers. Also explore the picturesque town of Chora and taste the local cuisine in one of the charming taverns along the coast.
The most beautiful islands of Greece
If there’s anything Greece has a lot of, it is islands: small pieces of lovely Greece surrounded by water. Imagine an azure blue sea, deserted bays with white sandy beaches, picturesque villages and breathtaking nature. The Sporades Islands have it all. The Hollywood movie Mamma mia was shot here for a reason; the Sporades archipelago is perhaps the most beautiful place in Greece.
Friendly locals and fresh fish
The Sporades are less well known than, for example, the Greek Cyclades. Skiathos is certainly busy in high season, but the islands are far less touristy than the Cyclades. The Greeks are also known for their friendliness. On the Sporades you really feel welcome and you can easily chat with a local fisherman. You will find many attractive taverns with traditional Greek dishes on the menu. The Sporades are known for their fresh fish dishes, prepared with the best fish from the Aegean Sea.
Hop on the ferry and discover the Sporades Islands
The Sporades archipelago is perfect for island hopping. The islands of Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos are located quite close to each other and many ferries run between the islands every day. Several ferry companies, such as Seajets, Blue Star Ferries and Aegean Flying Dolphins, operate the ferry routes between the Sporades Islands.
Tips to make your trip go smoothly (and increase the anticipation!)
- Plan your trip in advance. Check the order in which you want to visit the islands and book the best accommodations in advance
- Also book your ferry tickets online in advance. Ferries can be fully booked, especially during the high season
- Check the most up-to-date timetable on the website of the ferry company shortly before departure, there may be changes due to weather conditions or other unforeseen factors
- Be on time at the port and avoid stress
- Don’t forget your favourite sunglasses
Enjoy the anticipation of your Greece holiday!