It's not easy to find the best and the cheapest option to cross the channel from England to France. We excluded flying as you can't take your Jeep with you if you want to cross the channel with your car.
To be able to answer the question, we have made a number of test bookings ourselves.
We have included and tested the following options:
- Le Shuttle through the Eurotunnel (Train with Car)
- The Eurostar (London-Brussels) (Train without Car)
- Ferry Dover-Calais
- Ferry Dover-Dunkirk
- Ferry Dieppe-Newhaven
Crossing the Channel in the cheapest way possible
This car is average in size, but prices may differ depending on the car you have.
The prices we experienced
- Eurotunnel: ~ £ 100 / € 116 (not possible to travel without a vehicle!)
- Eurostar: ~ £ 60/ € 70 (no crossing with a car possible!)
- P&O Ferries / DFDS Dover-Calais: ~ £ 80 / € 95
- DFDS Dover-Dunkirk: ~ £ 75 / € 85
- DFDS Newhaven-Dieppe: ~ £100 / €116
Realistically, DFDS ‘Dover-Dunkirk and Dover-Calais are the cheapest options for crossing The Channel towards France. A single ticket without a car will cost you only ~ £ 25 / € 30
It is important to note that it is not possible to book the crossing on the DFDS website without a vehicle. That is why we have stated in our booking that we travel by bicycle. This way you only have to pay £ 25.
If you're interested in booking the cheapest routes available, we've created pages of both for you with some great insights:
- More about: Ferry Dover – Calais
- More about: Ferry Dover – Dunkirk
Good afternoon, we would like to cross the channel on the ferry and take our car with us on the ferry We are coming from Calais to Dover Can you give us an idea is it possible and how much does it cost Approximately Coming to Dover on April 20, 2023
A single trip with car will be around € 80 – € 100 if you book in advance. You can see a test booking here for that particular day: https://prnt.sc/-oedt1HpzEq-