Geelong Devonport ferry guide
The Geelong-Devonport ferry is the only ferry to Tasmania. This boat used to go from Melbourne, but this changed at the end of 2022. Thanks to the brand new terminal, you can expect an extra comfortable and smooth departure. Park your car for free and get on the boat in no time!
You don't have to be bored on board. The ships are very well equipped for a trip that takes about 10 hours. You can choose from a day and night cruise.
Things you need to know about the Geelong Devonport ferry
- This ferry is operated by Spirit of Tasmania
- Check-in opens between 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours prior to departure and closes strictly 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time. If you have special needs, please check in at least 2 hours prior to departure.
- Geelong has a new free parking area (6000m2) for cars, caravans, and freight vehicles.
The new Victorian home for the Spirit of Tasmania
The route of the Geelong-Devonport ferry is shown on the map.
New Terminal Address
- Spirit of Tasmania Quay
136 Corio Quay Road, North Geelong VIC 3215
Tickets and Booking
The costs for a ticket consist of 1) the age of a passenger, 2) the size of a vehicle 3) the accommodation that can be booked on board.
As it gets busier on board, tickets tend to get more expensive.
- A one-way ticket is available for around AUD 99.
- When we booked a return trip for a family with a car in January, it became a lot more expensive. The price went up to AUD 1777. Because we booked one night trip, we saved on an overnight stay elsewhere.
On this route, both the car deck and the cabins sell out quickly during the busier periods. Therefore, book your trip in time.
Tickets can be ordered on the Spirit of Tasmania website.
Which ferry companies sail on this crossing?
How long does the Geelong-Devonport crossing take?
How often does the Geelong-Devonport ferry sail?
What is the distance between Geelong and Devonport?