Sweden is currently the number one destination for avid winter sports enthusiasts. In traditional European winter sports resorts such as Austria or France, snow is no longer guaranteed. While in colder Northern Europe you are assured of beautiful snow landscapes. Don't feel like flying? Go on a skiing holiday to Sweden with your own transport and book a ferry crossing to Oslo or Gothenburg.
Your own car, skis and more…
You can enjoy fantastic skiing or snowboarding in the Scandinavian countries. As soon as all other holidaymakers are stuck in traffic towards the French Alps, you drive north. First stop: the ferry port of Kiel in Germany. Those who travel with their own transport do not have to worry about baggage rules and rates for skis or snowboards. Pack the car with all the things you need for your skiing holiday.
Ferry from Kiel to Gothenburg
If you go on a winter sports holiday to the southern ski resorts of Sweden (for example Isaberg), take the ferry to Gothenburg. A Stena Line ferry departs daily from Kiel (Northern Germany) to Gothenburg (Sweden). You sail at night; the ship leaves around dinner time and arrives in Sweden the next morning. During the crossing you can go grab a bite, enjoy the entertainment on board and sleep well in your private cabin. The holiday fun starts on the boat!
Ferry from Kiel to Oslo, Norway
If you want to enjoy the winter wonderland further north, in the Dalarna region, book the night ferry from Kiel (Germany) to Oslo (Norway). The ferry company Color Line operates this route with a real cruise ferry. The ferry leaves Kiel in the afternoon. There is a lot to experience on the ship: from the restaurant and bars to the duty-free shop and the casino. You will have a wonderful night's sleep on the swell of the waves before it is time for breakfast. The ship docks in Oslo around 10 am. Step in the car: off to your winter destination!
Swedish skiing resorts
The ski season starts at the end of November and lasts well into April. Many ski resorts in Sweden focus on families. You will see there are many children's slopes and a nice range of family activities. Another huge plus: there are no waiting times for the ski lift!
The most beautiful skiing areas are located in central Sweden, in the province of Dalarnas.
- Sälen is a major ski resort and one of the most popular winter sports destinations in Sweden. It’s about a 3.5 hour drive from the port of Oslo (Norway)
- Säfsen is a beautiful, well-organized and family-friendly ski resort. It is about a 4-hour drive from the ferry port of Oslo and more than a 5-hour drive from Gothenburg
- Åre is a renowned Swedish ski resort with both challenging slopes and children's slopes. It is an 8-hour drive from Oslo: a long way! So if you want to go to Åre with your own car, take into account longer travel time. Many winter sports enthusiasts who want to go to Åre therefore take a flight. You can fly directly to Östersund airport, near Åre
- Isaberg is located a lot further south: in the province of Småland. You can drive here from Gothenburg ferry port in about 1.5 hours. This ski resort caters to families with young children and you will find a fantastic toboggan run here of no less than one kilometre long!https://www.isaberg.com/en/activities/skiing/
Discover all ski areas in Sweden on the website: Visit Sweden.
Can you spot the Northern Lights?
Winter sports in Sweden is more than just skiing. Besides coming face to face with a reindeer while skiing, the Swedish snow-covered landscape has many more winter activities in store for you:
- Get on the snowmobile or take a husky dog sled ride
- Endless skating fun on the many frozen lakes in Sweden
- See the sensational northern lights. Hope for clear weather, once it gets dark you have a chance to see it!