Everything about Skagway-Haines
- The fast passenger ferry that connects Skagway to Haines is called: Rachel Marie, however, the Alaska Highway System also sails on this route with the Columbia or the Hubbard.
- If you want to travel by car from Skagway to Haines you have to take the ferry from the Alaska High Marine System.
- The distance from the harbor (Haines) to the port (Skagway) is about 15 Miles. (20 km)
- The Haines Skagway Fast Ferry on this route sails up to 10 times daily, the car ferry in Peak season travels about once per day.
- The duration of this crossing is 45 minutes. However, remember this can change based on the weather, season, and different ships on the route.
Harbor adress for navigational purpose
- Skagway harbor address: Mile 0, Klondike Highway – Skagway – AK 99840 – USA (Skagway Small Boat Harbor)
- Haines harbor address: Chilkoot Indian Association (CIA) dock – USA.
What you need to know about Haines in Alaska
Haines is home to the historical US Military Base, Fort William H. Seward, which is over 100 years old. It borders Glacier Bay National Park and has a population of 2500 people, 400 eagles (in fall), and 260 species of birds. Haines also has the highest per capita number of artists of any town in America. Approximately one-third of the population leaves for the winter, as it can be very cold in Haines.
Pricing on the Skagway-Haines ferry
If you want to take the ferry to Skagway or the other way around from Haines to Skagway, the minimal price for a single trip for one person will be close to $76. This price, however, can change due to fuel surcharges and things like discounts based on age or what you want to bring along on the ferry. With a car the cost is always over $100.
Which ferry companies sail on this crossing?
How long does the Skagway-Haines crossing take?
How often does the Skagway-Haines ferry sail?
What is the distance between Skagway and Haines?