The ferry from Holwerd to Ameland takes you to the island in 50 minutes. If you choose to take the fast ferry, you will be on Ameland within 20 minutes.
Ferry to Ameland
The ferry from Holwerd to Ameland is the main connection to the island. Every day there are many travelers who use this route to get to Ameland from the mainland.
With the ferry service from Holwerd to Ameland you can use a normal ferry service and a fast service. The boat sails almost all day long. In the schedule below we have placed an overview of the timetable.
Holwerd -> Ameland
- Monday to Thursday: the first boat leaves at 7:15 AM. Then there is a boat every hour from 9:30 until 12:30. Then one every hour from 14:00 to 18:00. The last one leaves at 20:00.
- Friday and Saturday: Almost the same as Monday to Thursday, except that one now departs every hour from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm. After that, there is one every hour from 14:00 to 20:00.
- Sunday: The first boat leaves 9:30 am. Then there is 1 at 11:30 and 1 at 12:30. After that, there will be one every hour from 14:00 until 20:00.
Ameland -> Holwerd
- Monday to Thursday: the first boat leaves at 6:15 AM. After that, a boat departs every hour from 8:30 – 11:30. Then a boat every hour from 13:00 until 17:00. Finally, another boat leaves at 19:00.
- Friday and Saturday: a boat departs here at 6:15 am. After that, there is a boat every hour from 7:30 – 11:30. Then there is a boat every hour from 13:00 until 19:00.
- Sunday: First boat leaves 8:30 and then a boat leaves every hour until 11:30. After that, boats depart every hour from 13:00-19:00.
Vertrek, aan boord & aankomst
It is recommended to arrive 30 minutes or earlier.
There are 2 parking spaces easily accessible at the port of Holwerd. Address: Grandyk 2b 9151 AE Holwerd
The crossing from Holwerd – Ameland and vice versa takes about 50 minutes with the normal ferry and 20 minutes with the express service.
On Ameland you can park your car on arrival in the parking lot with the address: Veerhaven 9163, Nes
Prices for the Holwerd-Ameland ferry
It is best to reserve your tickets online. An adult ticket starts at €12.75. Reservations can be made by telephone from the Netherlands at 0900-9238, and by dialling +31 88 1031000 from outside the country.
It is also possible to use an express service. For this you are required to buy a ticket for the normal ferry service and you then pay a surcharge on this. In the table below we have listed the total price of the tickets, so ferry service + surcharge for the fast service.
With the express service, the period in which you book does not have to be taken into account.
It is not possible to take a bicycle with you on the express service.
Ameland is part of Friesland Province, and it is the fourth largest inhabited Wadden Island in the Netherlands. There are four island towns, each with its own distinct character, are well worth visiting. Ameland consists mostly of sand dunes and has 27 km of coastline. It is also called the bicycle island, because of its 100 km of bicycle paths. The island has a small airport and two bus routes that link each of the towns. Wagenborg shipping company provides a daily ferry service between Ameland and the mainland.
Ameland is a true family island. It has a number of holiday resorts that are extremely suited for families with small children. This is also the place to enjoy beaches and nature hikes. Other activities available on Ameland are golf, surfing, bicycling, sky diving, and seal watching excursions.
There are a number of questions that are often asked about this crossing:
Which ferry companies operate on the Holwerd - Ameland route?
Are there any alternative ferry crossings to Ameland?
Where can you book this crossing?
Can my dog come on board?