Ferry to Ameland
The ferry from Holwerd to Ameland is the main connection to the island. Every day many travelers use this route to get to Ameland from the mainland.
Tickets can be easily booked online. Click on the button to check the current ticket price.
With the ferry service from Holwerd to Ameland, you can use a normal and fast ferry service. The boat sails almost all day long. In the schedule below, we have placed an overview of the timetable.
Holwerd -> Ameland
- Monday to Thursday: the first boat leaves at 7:15 AM. Then there is a boat every hour from 9:30 until 12:30. Then one every hour from 14:00 to 18:00. The last one leaves at 20:00.
- Friday and Saturday: Almost the same as Monday to Thursday, except that one, now departs every hour from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm. After that, there is one every hour from 14:00 to 20:00.
- Sunday: The first boat leaves 9:30 am. Then there is one at 11:30 and one at 12:30. After that, there will be one every hour from 14:00 until 20:00.
Ameland -> Holwerd
- Monday to Thursday: the first boat leaves at 6:15 AM. After that, a boat departs every hour from 8:30 – 11:30. Then, a boat every hour from 13:00 until 17:00. Finally, another boat leaves at 19:00.
- Friday and Saturday: a boat departs here at 6:15 am. After that, there is a boat every hour from 7:30 – 11:30. Then there is a boat every hour from 13:00 until 19:00.
- Sunday: First boat leaves at 8:30, and then a boat leaves every hour until 11:30. After that, boats depart every hour from 13:00-19:00.
Vertrek, aan boord & aankomst
It is recommended to arrive 30 minutes or earlier.
Two parking spaces are easily accessible at the port of Holwerd. Address: Grandyk 2b 9151 AE Holwerd
The crossing from Holwerd – Ameland and vice versa takes about 50 minutes with the normal ferry and 20 minutes with the express service.
On Ameland, you can park your car on arrival in the parking lot with the address: Veerhaven 9163, Nes
Prices for the Holwerd-Ameland ferry
It is best to reserve your tickets online. An adult ticket starts at €12.75. Reservations can be made by telephone from the Netherlands at 0900-9238, and by dialing 31 88 1031000 from outside the country.
It is also possible to use an express service. You must buy a ticket for the regular ferry service and then pay a surcharge. In the table below, we have listed the total price of the tickets, so the ferry service surcharge for the fast service.
With the express service, the period you book does not have to be considered.
Taking a bicycle with you on the express service is impossible.
Ameland is part of Friesland Province, and it is the fourth largest inhabited Wadden Island in the Netherlands. Four island towns, each with a distinct character, are well worth visiting. Ameland consists primarily of dunes and has 27 km of coastline. It is also called the bicycle island, because of its 100 km of bicycle paths. The island has a small airport and two bus routes linking each town. Wagenborg shipping company provides a daily ferry service between Ameland and the mainland.
Ameland is a true family island. Several holiday resorts are extremely suitable for families with small children. This is also the place to enjoy beaches and nature hikes. Other activities on Ameland are golf, surfing, bicycling, sky diving, and seal-watching excursions.
Several questions are often asked about this crossing:
Which ferry companies operate on the Holwerd - Ameland route?
Are there any alternative ferry crossings to Ameland?
Where can you book this crossing?
Can my dog come on board?