The ferry from Philipsburg to Gustavia
On this ferry, you'll cross the border from Sint Maarten to St Barth, meaning you must meet the VISA requirements. Visitors from the European Union, USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, and Israel don't need a VISA. A passport, however, is required for this crossing. Read more about it here: All VISA / ID requirements on ferries.
There are two vessels active between Gustavia and Philipsburg, the MV Shantiwa and Big B, the time table of these two ferries is the following:
Timetable: Departures from St Maarten / Philipsburg
- Monday: 7:45 – 9:45 – 17:30
- Tuesday: 7:45 – 9:45 – 17:30
- Wednesday: 7:45 – 9:45 – 17:30
- Thursday: 7:45 – 9:45 – 17:30
- Friday: 7:45 – 9:45 – 17:30
- Saturday: 7:45 – 9:45 – 17:30
- Sunday: 9:45 – 17:30
Timetable: Departures from St Barths / Gustavia
- Monday: 8:30 – 11:00 – 18:45
- Tuesday: 8:30 – 11:00 – 18:45
- Wednesday: 8:30 – 11:00 – 18:45
- Thursday: 8:30 – 11:00 – 18:45
- Friday: 8:30 – 11:00 – 18:45
- Saturday: 8:30 – 11:00 – 18:45
- Sunday: 11:00 – 18:45
The ports you'll be leaving from and arriving at are Bobby’s Marina, Philipsburg, St Maarten and the Gustavia Ferry Dock, Gare Maritime, and St Barths. The crossing takes about 45 minutes.
Things you need to know on this crossing
- No Hidden Fees – No Extra Luggage or Baggage Charges
- Passport Required for all Passengers.
- Check-In closes 45 minutes before departure time. The check-in closes 15 minutes before leaving.
- The Philipsburg – Gustavia connection on this route sails up to 6 times per day.
- The duration of this crossing is 45 minutes. However, this can change based on the weather, season, and different ships on the route.
- St Maarten harbor address: Bobby's Marina – J Yrausquin Blvd 22-H – Philipsburg – St Martin
- Gustavia harbor address: BP 695 97099 St Barthelemy. Coordinates: 17.8985078543, -62.85039443218.
Our preferred way of booking
The best way to book this ferry is through Great Bay Express Ferry bookings at Directferries, which you can also use on this page. This engine is handy if you want to compare prices. Directferries.com shows all the info needed and has good ratings.
Price and fare of this ferry
We made a test booking from St Martin to St Bart's. And we encountered the following prices for 2 passengers, a return trip.
Which ferry companies sail on this crossing?
How long does the Philipsburg-Gustavia crossing take?
How often does the Philipsburg-Gustavia ferry sail?
What is the distance between Philipsburg and Gustavia?
What kind of ID do you need to St Barths?