Typical Block Island? Stroll through charming streets lined with boutiques and picturesque houses. Take a seat at one of the many seafood restaurants with a view of that beautiful blue ocean. Lounge on a beach bed in the white sands of Block Island State Beach.
Block Island is a beautiful island off the coast of Rhode Island, near New York City. A coastal getaway? Yes, but there is more…
Coastal getaway for outdoor enthusiasts
This is typical Block island as well: grabbing your surfboard and hit the waves. The Island is also appealing for young (and old!) people who crave outdoor activities. So find your sunblock and favourite sunglasses, because here’s a list of the top 7 active things to do on the Island: https://www.blockislandinfo.com/
- Rent a bike and explore the island on two wheels. With scenic coastal roads, rolling hills, and picturesque views, cycling is the perfect way to take in the island's natural beauty. For example, visit the Southeast Light on Mohegan Bluffs and the North Lighthouse (photo above).
- Put on your hiking boots and go on an adventure. Block Island has several hiking trails that will take you to beautiful places such as Rodman's Hollow: a beautiful nature reserve, home to a lot of wildlife
- Grab your surfboard and head to one of the Island ‘s surf spots. Check out Mansion Beach (north of the harbour) or Black Rock Beach for more experienced surfers
- Test your balance and try Stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) on the more calm waters
- Go snorkelling at Surf Beach: this beach remains shallow for a long time, making it great for kids to snorkel here
- Horseback Riding: Saddle up and feel the wind in your hair as you trot along the coastline
- Rent a kayak and paddle your way through the island's pristine waters. Explore hidden coves, paddle along beautiful cliffs and keep an eye out for playful seals
So, whether you're seeking thrilling adventures or a serene getaway surrounded by natural beauty, Block Island has it all. From mainland Rhode Island, a ferry ride will transport you to this fascinating island.
Take the Ferry to Block Island
There are several ports from which you can travel to the island and various ferry companies that sail to this destination. View our Block Island Ferry Map for your ideal crossing.
Can I get there by plane?
Block Island does have a small airport. If you prefer to fly you can take a plane from Westerly to the island. However, the most common and accessible mode of transportation to the island is by ferry.